The following sections will give you an overview of the values and culture of New Horizons Ministries (NHM). These values define what our objectives are and how we accomplish them.
Our Mission Statement
Provide Christ-centered nurture for children and families in need, share the love of Christ with incarcerated youth and adults, and provide programs and experiences for our staff members that foster spiritual and personal growth.
We exist to break the cycle of incarceration.
How We Accomplish Our Mission and Purpose
We are a licensed foster care agency that focuses on young children from incarcerated mothers and at-risk situations. Since we believe the formative years of a child’s life are the most crucial, we strive to ensure that the best care and most stable environment are provided. Our primary focus is to provide care and support for children who have a parent who is or was incarcerated.
We also operate a daycare in the community as another avenue of providing a Christian foundation in the lives of as many children as possible.
- Chaplaincy Program: Thousands of men and women are stuck in a cycle of incarceration. We have chosen to break that cycle by discipling prisoners through programs and services that help them find the freedom to live their God-designed destiny. Our chaplains serve full-time in various facilities around Colorado to give prisoners the resources and mentoring they need to break this cycle.
- Mom Care: Having a child while incarcerated can be one of the loneliest and most vulnerable times in a mother’s life. We come alongside incarcerated and newly released mothers to provide the support and hope they need. Our doulas provide comfort and companionship while a mother is giving birth. We offer foster care for children born to these mothers while providing weekly visits for mother and child and conducting life skills classes. We offer a re-entry program where reunification of the mother and child can take place over a 12-month period in a safe, sheltered environment. This re-entry program is available to many women paroling from the Department of Corrections, even if they are not mothers.
Ascend is our youth discipleship program which promotes healthy personal and spiritual growth in the lives of youth thrift store volunteers. They can expect to have intentional learning opportunities, life-changing interactions with mentors and peers, and meaningful opportunities to serve others in these three areas:
- Biblical teaching and personal mentoring: During our volunteers’ time here they engage in weekly group Bible studies, monthly meetings with a mentor, and weekly classes with homework throughout the week.
- Work where you make a difference: The volunteers spend much of their time working in the thrift store, learning to work with other people and building leadership skills. Their ministry in the thrift store is two-fold. First, it provides vital income to the mission. Second, it gives them a chance to be the hands and feet of Jesus to the hundreds of customers who enter our doors each day.
- Learn life skills by living with other young people: Your relationship with God directly impacts your relationship with other people. Living in a house with other volunteers will give our volunteers prime opportunities to learn how to live in a tight-knit community in practical ways. Through working with and living with other young people they learn how to build healthy relationships that last far beyond their year of service.
Transformation happens in the context of restored relationships with God and others.
We are at war in a spiritual battle, not against the people and things we see.
Communication with God results in direction, provision, and victory.
We take action to ensure we are better today than we were yesterday.
Beliefs and Expressions
• We Fulfill the Lord’s prayer of bringing the kingdom of heaven to earth.
• We believe God speaks through His people.
• We believe everyone has a special calling on their life to make a significant difference in the Kingdom.
• We recognize an individual’s gifts and assist them in developing them.
• We recognize gifts and moral authority over position.
NHM aims to follow the ways of Jesus and is passionate about living in obedience to the Holy Scriptures, is evangelistic in purpose, and identifies with the Anabaptist (Mennonite) movement.